Category Archives: Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes

SNDNC October Meeting Minutes

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee
Meeting Notes   October 5, 2011.   2:30- 4:00
Present:  Joe Restoule General, Cathy Jamieson, Alice Anderson, Anne Noyes, Tammy Claus, Carrie Froman, Luanne Martin
Absent:  Deb Martin Abel, Judy McNaughton
1.  Reviewed NC Representation chart- Pam Beaver is Jamieson alternate.
Tammy Claus approached Janis Thomas (Native Language Rep), Alison Maracle (TEA rep), Betsy Buck- all three are pondering the notion of joining the committee.
Joe RG will ask Tom Deer (District Language & Culture Teacher) to attend meetings as needed.
2.  Goals/Areas of Focus for 2011- 2012
Using assessment data for, of and as learning
Share resources from each school to support PLCs
Ensure connection w/PD committee
Generate a Scope & Sequence/Cultural Link to Math Alignment document
Desk book example, added on to with additional topics (3 part lesson; Big Ideas, Scopes of Sequence)
Adjust DNP (District Numeracy Plan) to meet new template of SSP (School Success Plan)
Much discussion for Goal #4 to emphasize cultural link to math.  All members received a copy of the Traditional Knowledge Teaching Cycle.
Cathy Jamieson will present Terms of Reference to PAC at the next meeting.
New Business
3. Joe RG shared items from OMCA meeting, such as GAP Closing, Financial Literacy Scope and Sequence gr. 4-12 (see EduGAINS), MOE release of Proportional Reasoning K-12, Patterning and Algebra K-3 (see MathGAINS), also check out http://www.epractice.ca/ and http://www.gapclosing.ca/.  An updated version of Geometer’s Sketchpad (v. 5.02) is available for our district.
4. Scope and Sequence Document; discussion around this goal included identifying many resources to use as we create our own document, which will include the traditional teachings/cultural component.  Joe RG will send committee members the following documents: Scope and sequence/delivery plans for DSB of Niagara, Hamilton-Wentworth DSBoard, GEDSB, Combined Grades doc.   He also mentioned Math Makes Sense planning sequence, and Circle of Light Conference Placemat.
Teams were set to work on the Scope and Sequence Document:
Junior- Judy, Carrie, Joe
Primary-  Alice, Tammy
Intermediate- Anne, Luanne, Deb, Cathy
5.  FOR NEXT MEETING November 2, 2011 at 12:30 pm – All members to look over documents sent and bring all documents to District Teachers’ Office for a working session.  We need to decide on a template to use.
BYOL-  Bring Your Own Lunch
Thanks for the Cinnabon treat, Mr. Restoule General.

Submitted by Luanne Martin   October 7, 2011.

Advertisements

SNDNC September Meeting Minutes

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee
Meeting Notes- Sept. 7/11 2:30- 4:00
In Attendance- DNT- Joe Restoule General, OMSK- Deb Martin Abel, Judy McNaughton; ILTO- Tammy Claus, ECG- Cathy Jamieson, Alice Anderson; JCH- Anne Noyes, Luanne Martin
Absent- JAM- Carrie Froman
  1. Terms of Reference- Reviewed these.
Secretariat- Luanne Martin
Focus
Functions
Responsibilities
Principal Rep
Recommendations
Appendix
DNT will make all changes and forward to committee.
Co-chair- Tammy Claus
Native Language Rep- Tammy C will ask Janis Thomas
TEA Rep- Tammy C will ask Alison Maracle
  1. Chart activity- District Needs- DNT will write up a summary of “meeting our school needs” and strategies.

3.
Mrs. Noyes- Addressed the need for a district math document to provide a scope and sequence of expectations and skills for students per grade, using a time line.

This can be used as a planning tool which could stress new learning.
All members are encouraged to bring any documents of this type to our next meeting. District Math Alignment K-8 Project.

4.
DNT showed the committee the virtual desk book and asked for contributions.

Six Nations Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes June 1st, 2011

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes
June 1st, 2011 2:30 – 4:00 pm
District Teacher Office (J.C. Hill School)

In attendance: A. Anderson, T. Claus, M. Martin, J. Restoule General

Regrets: L. Martin

Absent: C. Froman, D. Hill, A. Noyes, J. Skye

1. J. Restoule General shared with committee information from OAME 2011. This included many handouts, resources and supplies from various publishers and presenters. Committee members in attendance divided up the resources based on their school’s/classroom’s needs. Copies were made of Edutopia, Curriculum Associates, Literacy & Numeracy Secretariat, Statistics Canada, GEDSB, and OAME workshop materials. Committee reviewed some of the workshops from OAME 2011, which can be found here. http://sites.google.com/site/oame2011presentersfiles/

2. Information pertaining to the next OAME conference was shared. Committee is encouraged to pass along information regarding the 2012 conference, May 10th-12th in Kingston, ON. Now is a good time as staff will be filling out Learning Plans for the 2011-2012 school year. The conference is akin to “Reading for the Love of It” but for math. It was noted how many teachers from each school go to that conference and it was recommended that teachers consider enhancing and building upon their math knowledge. It would be nice to see at least one teacher from each school in attendance at OAME 2012. There will be some excellent featured speakers. For more information, go to the OAME 2012 website: http://www.oame2012.ca (Registration opens February 1st, 2012.)

3. Committee members were each given a brochure (http://www.oame.on.ca/main/files/conference/L2011Fall.pdf) on the OAME Leadership Conference scheduled for the Fall (Oct. 27th – Oct. 29th) to share with their respective schools/staff. The theme for this year is “Creating Communities of Assessment Inquiry
and Practice: A Vision for Leadership in Mathematics”. Schools are encouraged to send a staff member and to include this on their learning plan.

4. Numeracy committee reviewed desk book headings for further development over the summer. A recap of the concept behind the binders (distributed to each school’s members last meeting) occurred, with committee members to continue to gather information/resources to be included in the desk book.

5. Meeting adjourned at 4:00 pm.

Next Meeting: September 7th, 2011.

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes

Wed., Mar. 2/2011, 2:30- 4:00 pm

District Teacher Room, J.C. Hill School

In attendance: Alice Anderson, Tammy Claus, Marlene Martin, Joe Restoule General, Carrie Froman (late)

Absent: Deb Hill, Luanne Martin, Anne Noyes, Jessi Skye

  1. Call to order and agenda approved.
  2. Minutes from last meeting already approved.
  3. Business arising out of the previous minutes

Status of District Numeracy plan-District Numeracy Teacher followed the procedure set forth by the Numeracy Committee; responses from PAC were unanimously positive; Plan is now final and to be rolled out to Six Nations staff; two hard copies given to each teacher, digital versions as well; presentations on the plan to occur at each school by DNT along w/NC member; suggestion of a book with all district plans (most current, most recent) stationed at each school and consistent from school to school –possibly along with all other necessary and important forms

Status of invitation to Sumona Roy-Sumona agreed to present at the meeting; unfortunately there was a mix-up and she is scheduled to present at the April meeting

Super Source CD-ROM: Does NOT need CD to function-encourage teachers to load this on work and home computers; request was submitted in June 2010 to District Technology Teacher, Superintendent and Computer Support personnel to set up a number of Math software titles on the INAC server so ALL teachers have the programs automatically on their computer; follow up inquiry occurred in September 2010

PD days and times surveycommittee reviewed the changes to the survey and approved the survey; next step is to share the survey with PAC before administering the survey to staff; comment was made regarding the 1 hour time length; suggestion that some PD, especially hands on workshops, may need approx. 2 hours; also discussed the CILM (Collaborative Inquiry Learning Model) or co-teaching approach to PD as well as the importance of follow up sessions that ensures sustainability in PD; this would hopefully assist teachers for whom after school PD is impossible due to parental commitments; possibly using OMSK’s PLC model to hold PD during the day

Functions of the committee-discussion on this item had occurred on the Six Nations Numeracy Committee wikispace; internet access was down so this discussion was unable to take place but will continue in the on-line forum

Report Card comments-suggestion about using the GEDSB math alignment document to ensure that long range plans are more reflective of new reporting process; comment re: progress report date and moving it closer to open house—parents seem to want to know then how their children are doing; comment about parent interview day being too late this year; suggestion that we have open house even sooner and/or interviews @ progress report time; suggestion to minimize subject focus on progress report; Numeracy committee members to share these items with their school calendar committee member and administration

Assessment Data Collection Practices-Tammy Claus shared an example of anecdotal collecting; uses different ink colours to distinguish dates of assessing; each child has a page with multiple boxes for each subject to write anecdotes; uses pink and green hi-lighters for strengths/next steps; Alice Anderson shared that she writes down what the child says orally; Joe Restoule General shared comment framework MISA document; several committee members stated that stretch your thinking in Math Makes Sense is a good section of the text to be using

Six Nations Numeracy Committee wikispace-due to internet access being down, review of this resource did not take place;

4. New Business:

PD Committee request: input on draft plan-NC reviewed, suggested PD occur on the Big Ideas in Mathematics; Marian Small’s resource was shared; NC agreed it would be great if all staff received the grade appropriate text; Suggestion that schools do NOT buy text books in advance of curriculum reform, and the impact of technological advancements in the schools; a Big Idea “list” to be compiled and added to the Numeracy Desk Book by committee

Working session on Desk Book items-NC spoke about more items to include in the desk book, and to continue to add to it through the wikispace and LiveBinder

OAME 2011: Put Math on the Map-Conference flyer shared with each school’s committee member

5. Meeting adjourned at 4:00 pm.

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes Wednesday, December 1st, 2011

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes

Wed., Dec. 1/2010, 2:30- 4:00 pm

District Teacher Room, J.C. Hill School

In attendance: Joe Restoule General, Marlene Martin, Luanne Martin, Tammy Clause, Anne Noyes, Carrie Froman,

Absent: Alice Anderson, Jessi Skye, Deb Hill

  1. Call to order and agenda approved.
  2. Minutes from last meeting already approved.
  3. Business arising out of the previous minutes

i)DNT to attend PAC– the procedure of this is still unclear and needs to be streamlined due to time. Next PAC is on Dec. 14th.

ii)District Numeracy Plan approval– DNT will e mail draft to superintendent, principals and vice principals for approval

iii)Revision to Terms of Reference– Change “develop PLCs at each school according to school needs” to “schools will share resources to support school PLCs”

Discussed our role in future PD and it was concluded that teachers are already busy, and we only have June 30th left for official PD.

  1. New Business

i)Wiki SN Numeracy Committee- DNT developed this web based space for NC members to discuss posted topics or to post a topic to discuss. Each member has been invited to join the group. Threads have been developed for assessment of learning for math and exemplary comments.

ii) Discussion about future PD and setting up an after school workshop with various topics similar to the Literacy sessions at OMSK last year. Committee is to consider this for future discussion.

iii) PD Times Survey- DNT developed a survey of best times for teacher PD. He will rework this to include ranking the best times. He is also working on PD survey information collected in June.

iv)DeskBook- suggestions to include: a) Big Ideas b) scope & sequence c) three part lesson plan d) Assessment as learning (before- ONAP, Numeracy Nets)

A thread will be put for this on Wikispace and we will discuss more next meeting. May have a working session.

v) Super Source- All schools have this- discussion on whether it needs a

disc to run the program. Will verify this.

vi)DNT to contact Sumona Roy to see if she can present math problem solving/teaching with the three part lesson plan to the committee. However, after discussion it may not be needed. Further discussion required?

  1. Items for next meeting

i) focus will be on report card comments eg. Size of text box, exemplary comments

ii) status of invitation to Sumona Roy

iii) further discussion on functions of committee

iv) status of the Numeracy Plan

v) numeracy wiki

6. Meeting adjourned at 4:00 pm.

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes Wednesday, October 27th, 2010

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, October 27th, 2010

District Teacher Room, J.C.Hill School

12:30 p.m ‑ 4:00 p.m.

In attendance: Joe Restoule General, Marlene Martin, Tammy Clause, Jessi Skye, Alice Anderson, Luanne Martin, Anne Noyes, Carrie Froman (late)

1. The positions (co‑chair and secretary) were nominated and selected for 2010/2011 school year. The positions are as follows: Co‑chair ‑ Marlene Martin, Secretary ‑ Jessi Skye/Luanne Martin alternating every other month


2. Terms of Reference were discussed. A motion was set to finalize the terms of reference at next PAC meeting. Mr. Restoule General typed up the purpose of the committee, Responsibilities of the Committee, and Recommendation Procedures. It was recommended by the committee for the Numeracy District Teacher to attend all PAC meetings to provide a brief Numeracy Committee update to keep all principals informed.


Functions of the District Numeracy Committee:

*Focus of the NC – Improvement of student achievement through improvement to classroom math experiences (includes using the Mathematical Processes, using manipulatives)

*Using assessment data for, of and as learning

*develop PLCs at each school according to school needs

* ensure connection w/PD committee

*generate teacher resources such as a user’s guide

*desk book example, added on to with additional topics (3 part lesson; Big Ideas, scopes of sequence)

*adjust DNP (District Numeracy Plan) to meet new template of SSP (School Success Plan)


Responsibilities of Numeracy Committee:

*Get District Numeracy Plan approved and sent to PAC for Nov. 9th

*complete final draft of minutes within 1 week of the NC meeting

*2 days for the first draft (sent to all NC members); 2 days for revisions (from NC members) in advance of sending to DNT

*DNT share minutes with Ps and VPs and NC (Ps and VPs would share minutes w/ALL staff (electronically/hard copy)

*report back to staff at the next scheduled staff meeting

*co‑chairs sign by next NC meeting

*targeted information sessions as need be (priority items)


Recommendation Procedure

*recommendation that DNT attend each PAC to present a monthly update/recommendations/reviews and field/respond to questions and/or concerns

*in the event of closed/cancelled PAC an e‑mail to all Ps and VPs from DNT for any time sensitive items

*Numeracy committee NOT to share items with general staff until P and VPs see it first


3. Approval of minutes was agreed by last year committee members (L.Martin, A.Anderson, J.Restoule General).


4. A review of the District Numeracy Plan was made. Changes were made by the committee. A new draft will be sent out via email by J.Restoule General. A motion was set to finalize the Plan at next PAC meeting.


5. Meeting adjourned

June Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes
Thursday, June 17th, 2010
JC Hill (2:30 – 4:00)

Present: TerryLynn Brant (alternate for J. McNaughton), L. Martin, S. Hill-Bomberry, A. Anderson, J. Thomas, J. Restoule General

Regrets: J. McNaughton

Absent: C. Froman

Update on action items from last meeting (Explore Learning PD, Caribou Math Contest):

Neither of these items were presented to PAC, as incorrect information was given regarding the date for PAC. Both items will be presented to PAC in the fall.

Key Math 3 C. Froman to share Jamieson’s kit:

C. Froman was absent and no alternate from Jamieson was sent, therefore the materials were not shared again this month.

L. Martin shared some info she had about the kit. A. Anderson stated that she likes the reports that derive from the software.

L. Martin raised the concern that calculator use is expected in the curriculum and in the high school courses that students will be entering. She is unsure how this would apply or be reflected in the Key Math assessment; more specifically in regards to the computation section. She suggested perhaps that a teacher give such sections twice; once without a calculator and a second time with the assistance of a calculator.

Committee members discussed the concern and spoke about how a calculator could be given to the student to do those questions for the teacher’s own interest/assessment, but that the scoring of the assessment (and final report) may be inaccurate if a calculator is used, and that referral to the manual in regards to what expectations it is exactly that those particular computation questions are assessing (is it the ability to know algorithms or perform pencil and paper computation?) should direct teacher use and application of the Key Math assessment.

In the end, it was determined that the individual teacher/school/education staff would have to make the decision and use anecdotal notes to reflect the professional judgement used and implemented when conducting the test.

On a side note, T. Brant suggested a call out to the local high schools regarding their expectations of calculator use, as well as the perceived areas of weakness determined by grade 9 math teachers. She referred to a past occurrence where GEDSB grade 9 teachers met with Six Nations District grade 8 teachers and discussed the transition. J. Restoule General will ask GEDSB Intermediate Mathematics Coach Cam MacDonald about these items.

Wish List for future purchase decisions:

Each school was asked prior to the meeting to bring items forward in advance of the possibility of any monies being allocated for future district Numeracy needs (ie: Imperial Oil/SEED proposal).

They were also asked for a list of valuable professional resources in the area of Numeracy to add to the appendix of the District Numeracy Plan (ie: most valuable teacher books for use in the classroom).

Rulers and Calculators were mentioned as being tops on most teachers’ needs list. The committee discussed how these items are basic classroom needs, and not really math specialty items. Ordering of these items should occur through basic school ordering, and NOT any special math monies or proposals.

A. Anderson mentioned that other school boards will supply a list of items that students require, to parents, and the parents are expected to purchase these items themselves. Often the result is a greater sense of responsibility and caretaking of home bought items. T. Brant explained that INAC’s fiduciary responsibility of running education means that the schools must supply these basic education needs. She suggested doing math orders from teachers at different times of the year than other ordering, so that teachers are reminded to focus on such items as rulers and calculators or other items specific to their classroom’s Numeracy needs.

Different ways of maintaining proper inventory and equipment were reviewed. It was mentioned that several classrooms use a pocket chart system which ensures responsibility and accountability in regards to calculator inventory. Calculators are numbered and correspond with a particular student for use in the classroom.

L. Martin suggested a caveat to math material ordering (namely manipulatives) which requires teachers to describe how they will be using the materials they are ordering, to ensure value and accountability when it comes to math supplies and spending.

T. Brant presented OMSK’s items. She stated that the staff felt that they “don’t need more stuff” and that they are happy with the materials that they have.

What they felt that they do need, and would like to see future dollars allocated to, is Professional Development on how to do math. A DVD series that explains and teaches math was referenced as an idea.

Secondly, she mentioned the Spencer Kagan Institute as a highly valued and respected provider of professional development in Cooperative Learning. T. Brant described how the Kagan PD addresses the collectivist nature of our people and the learning environment we would like to have in our schools and learning of math. She suggested seeking other funding to help bring this in, such as New Paths dollars.

Finally, T. Brant mentioned the possibility of needing to renew the math textbooks in the school. She brought it up for discussion and consideration, as she believed the Math Makes Sense texts are close to 10 years old (ed.—it was discovered after the meeting that the texts were published in 2005). She suggested looking at new publishers, as OMSK did not originally choose Pearson, they chose Nelson, but had to order Pearson to match what the other schools selected.

Other committee members felt that the use of the teacher’s manual was key to the successful use of the Pearson textbook. Using the strategies and cooperative exercises laid out in the teacher’s manual reflects the type of learning and problem solving we want the students to be engaged in. It was reiterated that the textbook still should not be the focus of program planning (ie: follow and finish the textbook), but rather the curriculum should be supported by the textbook and other resources. L. Martin restated that the textbook actually has non-curriculum related activities that teachers need to be aware of when planning their program, and adjust accordingly.

A. Anderson added that the Super Source resource (that all schools received in the fall) can be effectively linked to Math Makes Sense to provide problem solving experiences and situations.

L. Martin suggested that any review or surveying of new resources/textbooks should possibly wait until after the next scheduled curriculum review, scheduled for 2011, with a spring release in 2013 and full implementation in September 2014.

ILTO’s items were shared by J. Thomas. She stated that T. Claus looks after the English program’s Numeracy items and that she is currently on leave and therefore did not have items sent forward. J. Thomas shared that the Immersion teachers gave her little feedback, other than the consideration that future math items purchased for the English program would very likely need to be translated for Immersion use, and that dollars/monies should be earmarked for that purpose.

She stated that the Cayuga Math Terminology document that was developed by T. Deer and the Immersion teachers for Kindergarten and Grade 1 has been very helpful, especially for those teachers with less fluency in the language. She felt continuation of such resources would be very helpful, and that the document itself was a good start because many of the terms for K and Gr. 1 continue on into the older grades.

JCH’s wishes were presented by L. Martin. She spoke of the need to develop a math program with resources in-line with the Locally Developed expectations in high school (focusing on three strands). This would better prepare students entering LD courses than, for example, providing these students with programming derived from out of grade level resources. It was suggested to ask Grand Erie personnel about this concept to help inform the development of the program.

She also shared that the tiered support system worked well at meeting the needs of students this year at JCH. The school looks towards expanding on the common teaching times in 2010-2011, by continuing to use common assessments (Numeracy Nets as one resource) and using the data to evaluate student needs mid-unit and rearranging them according to those needs for further instruction in either enrichment, reinforcement, or continual development. This may require more Numeracy Nets documents.

S. Hill-Bomberry and A. Anderson spoke about ECG’s wish list of items for future ordering consideration. They stated more assistance with Numeracy Nets and ONAP was needed; a copy of each resource for each teacher would be beneficial, as the initial ordering provided a copy for each grade only. They also cited Math Journals resources and info as an area of need.

There weren’t any professional resource texts brought forward for the Numeracy Plan appendix, apart from the Van De Walle series of Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics suggested by J. Thomas. She says she uses these all the time in her classroom and the activities and ideas have been excellent. She also mentioned how she uses story books and literature frequently in the classroom.

J. Thomas and A. Anderson mentioned how resources and PD that assists teachers in how to use literature in their math teaching would be of great value to the district. J. Thomas mentioned that teachers need to see how literature is used and that future PD could be offered in this area.

J. Restoule General shared the table of contents copied out of the Marilyn Burns’ Math Solutions Publications series of books that offer ideas and lessons surrounding the use of fiction and non-fiction texts in mathematics lessons. Several of these teacher resource books are in the schools now, yet teachers have commented that the texts referenced in the books are unavailable. He asked if purchasing the children’s literature to support these teacher books would be something the district should do. An example is the Marilyn Burns Classroom Math Library.

T. Brant and S. Hill-Bomberry felt that storybooks shouldn’t be purchased nor that district resources be used to buy children’s literature for math. T. Brant felt that teachers should check their school libraries first, and that these books should remain in the library. They may be given their own designated section, but should remain in the library. J. Restoule General mentioned that C. Froman was working on pulling these texts aside in the Jamieson library, but he was unsure what the next step was in this plan. C. Froman was absent and therefore not able to comment.

A. Anderson suggested that teachers go out and read children’s literature and to think about, keep in mind, and discover the math connections that can be made. She suggested the “Tumble Books” resource for online children’s texts.

ECG committee members stated that they believed that the original draft of the Numeracy Plan from the 2008-2009 school year had a list of Literature titles that support Numeracy learning. J. Restoule General shared the copy of the Original Draft that he received in June 2009, which did not have such a list. For this reason, the committee was asked to bring forward ideal texts to this meeting. Any future revisions to the plan and its appendix should include a Math Literature list.

Review 3 Year Plan in Final Draft Form with Electronic version:

Teacher/staff comments: There was some questioning as to why we were asking for staff input on this document. OMSK felt they had already given their input and were actively using the plan.

ECG committee members felt that the Numeracy Committee has to review the document before getting feedback. J. Restoule General reminded them that we did review the plan over the first Numeracy meeting (see October and November minutes) and had been awaiting staff input. They did not recall this and insisted that we take a very detailed look at the plan in September 2010. They also felt that we should review how successful we have been at the goals/focus areas. As reviewing the plan and the committee’s goals were on the meeting agenda for today, it was suggested the committee begin the review immediately, and not wait for September.

T. Brant suggested that we reformat the plan to 8.5 x 11” portrait layout so it would fit nicely into binders/deskbooks. She also pointed out some concerns that will need to be discussed at another review of the plan in the Fall (why “three year”?; where and how is the term “culturally relevant context” reflected in the rest of the document?).

T. Brant reiterated the document’s use of EQAO data at the district level to assess the achievement of the district’s Numeracy goals, using that data as the evidence or indicator of success. It was suggested that the data be inserted into the plan itself, possibly as an appendix.

Review of focus area one led to some suggesting the elimination of CCAT and PRIME as resources.

T. Brant recommended that the committee consider taking the next steps portion of the document and refocusing them as the new draft’s goals in 2010-2011. One of the next steps in focus area one states “provide timely feedback and intervention to students”. The committee sees the need to develop and describe how the feedback is given/developed, and/or discuss this area further.

A. Anderson stated that she felt that the committee has accomplished very little this year. J. Restoule General agreed that it seemed like we were just “spinning our tires” this year. Ongoing issues around committee member attendance and the 2:30 pm release time were seen as contributing factors to this sense of low productiveness.

J. Restoule General asked if the committee would like to set a date for the September meeting. S. Hill-Bomberry felt that it was too early to set a date. T. Brant suggested that we pick a day and time (similar to this year’s third Thursday of the month) but also mentioned that maybe we could review exactly how often we would meet (maybe once a term but for a longer duration). She also suggested getting a mandate for ½ day meetings or continuing with PLC style meetings using creative scheduling for releasing divisions of teachers. J. Restoule General felt that it was hypocritical to have the district’s priorities be Culture & Language, Literacy and Numeracy, yet not be supported when it comes to the supply teacher budget to allow for these committees to meet. S. Hill-Bomberry stated that it is “out of our hands”. T. Brant said we should push for that commitment in the fall. She also thought the committee should appoint a chair and a secretary position. This item was discussed at the May meeting (see minutes). S. Hill-Bomberry reiterated her viewpoint.

Comment was made about the fact that staff meeting agendas are very full and that discussing the Numeracy plan adds on to an already busy agenda. S. Hill-Bomberry suggested that the plan be broken up, one page per staff meeting, in order to make it more manageable for staff to review.

Numeracy Committee Goals for 2010-2011:

As this agenda item is intertwined with the review of the Numeracy Plan, it was discussed in the agenda item above, and will continue to be discussed at the next meeting in the fall.

May Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes
Thursday, May 27th, 2010
JC Hill (2:30 – 4:00)

Present: J. McNaughton, S. Hill-Bomberry, A. Anderson, L. Martin, J. Restoule General

Absent: C. Froman, J. Thomas

Review minutes from last meeting: Approved

Committee for 2010-2011: It was discussed at the strategic planning meeting that committees will strike a member terms of reference for the 2010-2011 school year. This would explicitly state roles and responsibilities of committee members.

L. Martin asked about who would draft the terms of reference and what the process would be. The answers are as yet unknown.

J. Restoule General asked if the committee would like to elect/appoint a chair for the committee. Members stated that the way things are currently run is fine and that J. Restoule General continue to act as chair.

Members in attendance were polled to determine if they would be returning as committee members for next year. Most felt that they would be hoping that someone else take the role as Numeracy rep at their school, as they “would like to see someone new” in the position.

S. Hill-Bomberry mentioned how she appreciated A. Anderson’s commitment to the area of Numeracy and commented on how A. Anderson’s expertise and knowledge (as a Math Specialist) is extremely valuable to the staff, the committee and the district. J. Restoule General echoed those sentiments. Both hoped for A. Anderson’s return to the committee next year.

Math Assessment Tools PD planning for Numeracy Nets (GEDSB opportunity): No one from Six Nations was in attendance at the GEDSB Numeracy Nets session. J. Restoule General did contact Cam MacDonald about the session and will share any pertinent information as GEDSB continues to roll out Numeracy Nets.

Poll staff for ideal PD time/style: In relation to this, it was discussed when is the ideal time to offer PD for teachers. S. Hill-Bomberry mentioned that the calendar committee is discussing dates and PD timetabling. Committee members discussed and concluded that a survey of staff be drafted to assess preferences of PD delivery times. This would be a ranked survey. Options to appear on the survey were discussed. These will appear on the survey, which will be drafted by J. Restoule General, passed through the Numeracy Committee and PAC, and then distributed to education staff.

One suggestion of “during school time” was brought up. L. Martin felt that we should not include this on the survey, as it may not even be an option realistically, and including it on the survey would set up expectations that would summarily result in disappointment. S. Hill-Bomberry felt that we should include it anyway, and mentioned that we may have to get creative in how PD is delivered within the school day.

The option of “during prep and/or lunch periods” was also brought up. Committee members felt this could be an option, though any PD offered during this time would certainly have to be on a volunteer basis, and could not be deemed mandatory.

CAT/Insight Testing (ILT/ECG) Comments: ECG members relayed comments from the staff, which included the opinion that conducting the testing at this time of year was poor timing and overwhelming, what with EQAO coming up and curriculum content to cover, as well as other classroom testing.

Some teachers thought the testing would occur earlier, some thought it was just going to be math testing. A question was raised about doing standardized testing instead of criterion based testing. Other concerns were that the data would take too long to return to the school in order to inform programming for next year. Another comment was that there seemed to be some strands missing in the math portion of the testing.

***It is important to note here that though the following facts did not occur at the meeting, follow up on some of these concerns prove some of the issues to be inaccurate or oversights. The CAT4 is both norm based and criterion based. Data from the CAT4 will be received in 20 business days, and the Math portion does in fact include all 5 strands.***

No ILT rep was present to offer their viewpoints on the testing.
The committee discussed examining the future use of these tests in the district based upon receipt of the data and subsequent feedback from teachers and education staff of the usefulness of the data.

J. Restoule General indicated that it is anticipated that the CTC will be offering the schools 50% off the testing in the near future, and expects that a decision will need to be made regarding the district use of the test at that time. The various options will be discussed at future committee meetings, with the aforementioned plan of using the CAT4 in grades 2 and 5 (and possibly 7), in order to focus efforts in advance of the EQAO testing years of grades 3 and 6 as one avenue to explore.

Further discussion and review needs to be done regarding this and other forms of math assessment for the district.

First Steps in Math PD Proposal Update: Any district staff inclusion in the First Steps in Mathematics Facilitator Course offered by GEDSB was “not approved based on feedback from principals,” as stated by Acting Superintendent K. Hill. S. Hill-Bomberry was asked about the feedback that principals provided to K. Hill. She did not recall discussing the proposal. Previous conversations that J. Restoule General had with J. Reuben indicated that she did not recall the proposal being discussed either. When J. Restoule General met with D. Dunnigan in advance of the proposal submission, D. Dunnigan seemed to have a positive response to the First Steps program and supported the initiative.

J. Restoule General will continue to work with GEDSB Intermediate Mathematics Coach Cam MacDonald to receive info and feedback about the program/course.

Explore Learning Teacher Passwords/PD Comments/concerns/feedback: Very little feedback regarding teacher use of this resource. Some teachers have asked for their passwords again, so there must be some utilization.

PD opportunity update: J. Restoule General shared the proposal that was written and submitted to K. Hill back in March. There is no indication that this has been discussed with PAC. J. Restoule General will ask to present to PAC on the second Tuesday in June.

He shared the Explore Learning materials he received at the OAME conference and indicated that Stephen Lippa continues to be interested and available to offer PD to teachers. The only cost would be his travel, which would be $150.

Understanding Math Proposal for Six Nations Proposal Update: The meeting and free trial period for software piloting of the full Understanding Math resource that was tentatively scheduled to occur in April with Rudy Neufeld of Neufeld Learning Systems was terminated by K. Hill and 3 of the 4 principals.

J. Restoule General returned the Professional Learning materials that Mr. Neufeld had lent us for the district’s perusal and will not continue any further on this venture based on principal feedback.

Math contest (Caribou) Classes involved: Committee members did not know if any classes participated in the latest Caribou contest, though it appears that no classes registered from the four schools.

Proposal to be approved at PAC for 2010-2011: J. Restoule General will ask for future participation in the contest to be approved at PAC. Clarification of what contests need to be approved and through what channels was discussed by the committee. It seemed that there was some indication that these are dealt with at a school level, while also needing to be presented to PAC.

S. Hill-Bomberry indicated that she was unaware that students were participating in the contest at her school and expected that it be communicated better by the District Numeracy teacher (and all other District teachers excepting for the District Literacy teacher). She indicated how R. Staats keeps her up to date whenever entering the school via an e-mail. Committee members discussed the responsibility of informing principals of activities going on at schools and who was responsible and what the process was and how it could be best developed in order to be effective and yet not time consuming or prohibitive in nature.

J. Restoule General will commit to increasing communication of activities within the schools to the principals.

Key Math 3 C. Froman to share Jamieson’s kit: C. Froman was absent and will hopefully share the kit with the committee at June’s meeting.

L. Martin shared the frustration she’s had when attempting to order or inquire about the kit through Pearson. Representatives seem to not know what the item is or deny having it for sale. There are other barriers to receiving it regarding Special Education or similar qualifications.

J. Restoule General met a Pearson/PsychCorp rep at the OAME conference and can arrange a presentation for principals should they wish to see the latest resources that go along with the Key Math 3. This contact has been shared with J. Reuben, as OMSK was looking into ordering the new materials. Issues surrounding the difficulties ordering the kit were also discussed with the Pearson contact, and he offered to be personally contacted so as to correct and prevent any issues we may have.

OAME conference items to share: J. Restoule General shared the resources and materials from the OAME conference and offered to photocopy or loan any of them to committee members for their schools. He strongly encourages Numeracy leads in the schools (or any staff) to attend next year’s conference in Windsor, May 12th-14th, 2011. It would need to be included on staff learning plans, which S. Hill-Bomberry mentioned “could be amended at any time” to include this conference.

L. Martin took the opportunity to discuss the Rethinking Mathematics text that was part of a workshop on “Teaching Social Justice through Mathematics” at OAME. She spoke of the “warm heart, active mind” concept that we should hope for in our students and recommended the text for all staff in the district for its examples of pulling local issues into the Mathematics curriculum and planning of teachers.

GAINS Math CAMPPP 2010: J. Restoule General shared info on the CAMPPP which occurs from August 16th to the 20th at Kempenfelt Conference Centre in Barrie. Info can be found on the GAINS website; there is a link to the EduGAINS website available on the Six Nations Numeracy blog.

He has been in contact with the organizers and they have informed us that we are applicable for the Ministry funded CAMPPP, paid for in full (accommodations, meals, registration and travel) by the Ministry of Education Math GAINS initiative.

Spaces are available for teams of up to five until May 31st (this would be at least one principal, one math coordinator, and three teachers). After May 31st, spaces are on a first come, first served basis, space permitting.

Wish List for future purchase decisions: Committee members will focus on this agenda item for the June 17th meeting and are asked to bring their ideas/examples to the meeting.

Review 3 Year Plan in Final Draft Form with Electronic version Teacher/staff comments: This is still a draft and still needs to be presented to PAC for approval. The next committee meeting will involve reviewing the plan for next year. Committee members spoke of the need to emphasize the importance of focus area two; the professional development and learning of education staff in the area of Numeracy. Questions always seem to arise concerning math PD, such as when it will occur, how it will occur, and how teachers and staff are to be supported in their learning. Concerns about putting time and resources (human and financial) towards Math PD seem to continually arise.

Numeracy Committee Goals for 2010-2011: These will be on the agenda for the June meeting as well, in relation to the review of the 3 Year Plan, and concerns about PD.

Meeting adjourned

April Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes

Thursday, April 22nd, 2010

JC Hill (2:30 – 4:00)

Agenda Items

Present: A. Anderson, C. Froman, L. Martin, J. McNaughton,

J. Restoule General, J. Thomas

Absent: S. Hill

Review minutes from last meeting

Approved.

Open Discussion Round Table

Numeracy reps were asked to discuss math initiatives, past, present and future happening in their respective schools.

OMSK is using Numeracy Nets and enjoy it; several staff members attended a SMART math Tools workshop in Mississauga (see agenda item below); SMART board resources are used in classrooms, some on-line and some self-generated; OMSK staff have noticed that use of SMART boards results in increased student engagement and increased math understanding.

ECG staff shared the idea to have the students use the SMART board to teach the class, through the creation of their own lesson planning and instruction; the end result is a greater understanding of the math because it takes a greater understanding in order to teach a concept to others; ECG hopes to get Numeracy on the PLC agenda for 2010-2011

ILT has been working on an Immersion Numeracy Word Wall; staff is using Numeracy Nets and the feedback is good; there have been more manipulatives ordered and classrooms are well stocked; Immersion teachers are still in a situation where they need to develop their own materials; J. Restoule General shared a resource that was purchased that has a photograph on one side of the card and several math “talk” ideas and questions on the back—this could be helpful in immersion classrooms where translation is a barrier to using resources.

JCH is including Numeracy in their revision of the School Improvement Plan; it will also be a focus for their PLCs in 2010-2011; each grade has undertaken a common teaching time and are in stages of development to realize the full potential of the concept.

JAM continues to have a focus on Problem Solving in Math and using common posters and strategies across classrooms; the school has received the newest Key Math resource; this prompted the question of the use of Key Math in all schools. Each school has several staff members trained to use the resource and are testing as needed.

Math Assessment Tools

PD planning for Numeracy Nets (GEDSB opportunity): There is an opportunity to join GEDSB in some Numeracy Nets training on Thursday, April 29th. Because that is the day before our PD Day, J. Restoule General knows that he probably will not be attending the session.

Teacher use: All schools are beginning to implement Numeracy Nets. OMSK has entire junior division using a checkpoint and meeting on May 3rd to discuss. J. Restoule General has been in to see most junior teachers and discussed how to include a checkpoint into the next unit, as well as a standing offer to assist in the implementation. JAM is using it in the resource program. Point was raised that teachers need to see the value of the Numeracy Nets, through a presentation, as well as the next steps after doing a checkpoint. Question remains as to when exactly is the best time for this. J. Restoule General will continue to work with teachers and principals to arrange for support and training with Numeracy Nets. A report was prepared by J. Restoule General for SEED/Imperial Oil to inform them of how their investment is being utilized in the classroom and the feedback from teachers and students. Future reports are required as part of the funding/grant initiative.

Ideas for ONAP implementation: ONAP continues to be on the back burner while Numeracy Nets is the focus. Individual teachers are encouraged to use and some are using it on their own in advance of any formal PD (D. Martin Abel, M. Freeman).

CAT/Insight Testing (ILT/ECG)

These two schools are participating in the norming study. The other three schools declined. ILT has their testing materials in and need to complete testing by May 21st. Arrangements regarding dates and times for testing have yet to be determined. ECG chose to undertake the test in late May and is awaiting their materials.

Math contest (Caribou)

Upcoming dates/Classes involved: Grade 3 and 4 students can write again on May 19th. No classes have registered as of today.

Past results: Yesterday, grades 5 and 6 students wrote the test. We had an outstanding participation rate, with three schools entering 32 students. They should all be proud of their effort and willingness to compete.

Overall, the province had just shy of a thousand students involved in the contest. Our students ranked as high as 404th. The top 5 students in our district ranked 404th, 443rd, 474th, 493rd, and 502nd. All students will receive either a Certificate of Merit (which shows their ranking at a provincial level, district level, and school level) OR a Certificate of Participation. These were handed out to committee members at the meeting.

OMSK uses the site to teach some problem solving skills.

ECG staff raised the question as to who approved participation in the contest. There was a question as to whether or not this was approved through PAC. It was also questioned as to whether or not the Numeracy Committee was aware of the contest.

In response, it was indicated that the Caribou contest has been on the Numeracy Committee agenda each and every meeting, and been discussed each and every time (see previous meeting minutes). J. Restoule General noted that it was presented to PAC at the November meeting and that he attended a recognition ceremony at ILT on March 5th to hand out Caribou Contest Certificates. Participation in the contest is determined by individual teachers wishing to participate.

In addition to this response, there was concern raised that the schools would have to pass ALL contests through PAC (Poster and essay contests, etc.). J. Restoule General will contact the principals concerning this issue.

The Numeracy Committee unanimously sees the positive aspect of an academic contest that involves math and problem solving. We applaud all of those who participated and encourage future involvement in academic competitions.

OMSK Math Night on February 17th

Report on how it went (see blog and/or District Teacher Newsletter): We shared some feedback about the night. The majority of the feedback is positive. Some concerns include that there were more staff than parents and some rooms did not get visitors. A suggestion was made to have any Parent/Family nights in the fall or first term to get parents excited and enthusiastic about a new year, a fresh start, etc. Another suggestion was to promote these nights as “Learn to help your child with math.”

ECG Math Website Student and Parent workshops

J. Restoule General gave workshops all day to ECG students in grades 4 to 8 on April 7th. The purpose was to show students web based resources to help them learn, practice and explore math. The following night, April 8th, a workshop was given for parents with a similar theme but directed towards websites that could aid parents in supporting the math learning of their children.

The workshop did have a positive response and impact, as evidenced by teacher and student anecdotal data. Data compiled by the web service “Site Meter” indicated over 54 visits and 300 page views in the following week, and a similar amount (41 visits) two weeks following the workshop. Sites and addresses related to the workshop have been noticed in the address bars on computers at school, homework support and the public library.

It was noted that parents from ECG had indicated that they were going to the public library to use the computers and go on the math websites, but that unfortunately, the library has been closed until further notice.

SMART Math Tools Workshop

Several teachers in the district attended this workshop on Saturday, March 6th. Each teacher was given a license for SMART Math tools. Feedback on the software was not available.

A couple of Six Nations teachers were approached at the workshop by teachers from surrounding boards, offering their time to give Six Nations teachers PD on SMART boards and software. They were willing to travel to Six Nations, on a Saturday or “off-duty” time, to share their knowledge with our education staff.

At this point, J. McNaughton shared how she was utilizing the new MacBooks to enhance her science program. She uses the internal web cam on the laptop to stream video of a student conducting their science presentation, directly to the SMART board. This allows students to see the experiment up close, while remaining in their seats during the presentation.

Explore Learning Teacher Passwords/PD

Comments/concerns/feedback: It is still unclear how many teachers are using this resource.

PD opportunity update: A proposal was written and delivered to Acting Superintendent K. Hill on March 5th, outlining the training available for education staff. It was then delivered on March 25th to all principals and VPs for discussion at April PAC. There has been no indication as to whether the proposal and subsequent PD has been discussed and/or approved.

Mathville 1 and Brain POP

Comments/concerns/feedback: OMSK and ECG have positively expressed their continued use of these resources. They believe that usage will increase as schools increase the number of SMART boards in the classrooms (though this is not a requirement for the use of these resources).

The number of computers and equipment available continues to be the barrier to wider spread use of the resources.

Comment was made that at ECG the students are asking for the resource to be used, during their lunch time.

A concern was raised that in order for these resources to be used effectively, classroom and computer sound equipment needs to be in place, and functioning properly.

Wish List of books, manipulatives for future purchase decisions

It was requested at the March 11th Numeracy committee meeting for teachers to bring a wish list of professional resources. As many committee members were absent at that meeting, this request has been extended to the May 20th Numeracy Committee meeting.

J. Restoule General has been into classrooms the past several weeks, speaking with teachers and doing an inventory of resources. Once these checklists are returned and compiled, classrooms will receive resources on a needs basis, while future purchasing decisions will be informed by the lists.

C. Froman shared that the Dollar Tree has excellent math posters at a very good price.

Review 3 Year Plan in Final Draft Form with Electronic version

Teacher/staff comments: As the meeting was extending past 4 pm, J. Restoule General quickly shared an electronic version of the District 3 Year Plan. It has fully clickable links to all the resources listed in the Appendix in the original hard copy draft, as well as anecdotal descriptions of the websites.

The committee did not get into sharing any staff input from the draft form that was circulated in the fall. The electronic version will be forwarded to all Principals and VPs for approval at PAC. Numeracy Committee members will get a copy as well.

Numeracy Committee Goals for 2010-2011

After school PD Planning: Committee briefly touched on this topic. Discussion continues to occur regarding the best time for delivering PD to education staff. Early release time seemed to be the consensus, as after school sessions are often difficult for staff to attend. PLCs were also indicated as ideal times (see previous agenda notes).

The next Numeracy committee meeting on May 20th will focus on goals for the Committee in 2010-2011.

First Steps in Math PD

An invitation flyer from Pearson for the First Steps in Mathematics Facilitator Course offered in Brantford over 7 days in May and June was shared with the committee. A proposal recommending Six Nations participation was submitted by J. Restoule General to K. Hill and Director of Education J. Cutfeet on April 20th. Numeracy committee looked over flyer and indicated positive view of First Steps program and supported J. Restoule General’s attendance at the facilitator training, along with others if proposal approval allows for more than one attendee.

Understanding Math Proposal for Six Nations

Concern was raised from ECG that they are being “bombarded” by the amount of resources available for Numeracy. Suggestion was made to perhaps pilot certain resources at individual schools, as opposed to district wide.

Other concerns from ECG were the cost of the Understanding Math program, in relation to the projected use of the resource. For example, in the primary division there appears to be only one strand addressed (Numeration) in the Understanding Math program. Another concern is the use of American manipulatives/units/images in measurement, money and other areas. The committee agreed that these are very valid concerns. It was clarified that the cost is not just for the software alone, but included professional development over several sessions throughout the year, as well as future upgrades to the software. The committee agreed that professional development for teachers is key and integral to the future development and learning of Six Nations staff and students.

Numeracy Committee members were informed of the Neufeld Learning Systems offer to install the full software on a laptop for each of the five schools, for free use until the end of the school year. This would allow for each school to test the program in advance of any financial commitment or obligation.

The committee saw this no cost/no commitment opportunity as a favourable opportunity. Questions were asked about why we wouldn’t take this offer. One of the reasons cited as to why we as a district would choose to neglect to act on this opportunity was in the interest of not wasting Neufeld Systems time and energy; if we had little to no intention of carrying through with further stages of the proposal at a future date, then why even consider this two months of free use.

A meeting is tentatively scheduled for April 28th for principals and a teacher from each school to meet with Rudy Neufeld to discuss the proposal and the professional development included in the cost, as well as answer any questions and concerns and to install the software for the trial period.

OAME Conference

Brock University May 13th to 15th.

The conference website was shared with the committee for information purposes. Those interested in attending would have to put through the necessary paper work (Learning Plan, travel authority, etc.) and speak with their supervisor to attend.

Committee member terms of reference

We did not address this agenda item, due to the fact that the meeting had already run well past its scheduled time. It will be reviewed next meeting along with the goals for the committee for 2010-2011 and wish list items (see previous agenda items).

At the end of the meeting, committee members were able to view the resources available for sign out, as shared throughout the district via an e-mail, Word document and blog posting given to the principals to forward to staff.

Next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 20th at 2:30 pm at JC Hill School.

Numeracy Committee Meeting Minutes for December 17th, 2009

Six Nations District Numeracy Committee Meeting Agenda

Thursday, December 17th, 2009

JC Hill (2:30 – 4:00)

Agenda Items

Present: Carrie Froman, Judy McNaughton, Luanne Martin, Alice Anderson, Joe Restoule General

Absent: Sandy Hill, Janis Thomas

Review minutes from last meeting

Approved

Math Assessment Tools

Numeracy Nets: All schools now have a complete set of every grade available from Pearson (grades 3 to 8). The committee discussed how to roll these out. General consensus was to get them into teacher’s hands ASAP, with follow up PD to ‘officially’ implement them. Joe has already met with ECG and arranged visits with OMSK and ILT for the new year to provide a brief overview and offer to support teachers with their use of the Numeracy Nets.

PD planning for Numeracy Nets: Pearson is available to give PD for the Numeracy Committee, who will in turn share that PD with their respective schools. They gave the option of either a Pearson rep to come in person or conduct a webinar. The committee agreed that both options could be used, with preference to having someone come in person. The committee agreed that the sooner the PD can be conducted, the better.

ONAP (Ontario Numeracy Assessment Package): All schools now have a complete set of every grade available from Nelson (grades 4 to 8). The committee discussed the overabundance of new resources and how it could become overwhelming for teachers. After much discussion and variance in opinion, it was decided that some teachers may want to look at the ONAP books and use these right away, so we would make them available immediately, with plans to offer PD in term 3, while focusing on the Numeracy Nets in term 2. Joe will deliver these to the schools on December 18th.

The Super Source K-8 CD ROMs are on back order and will be delivered once they are back in stock.

CAT/Insight Testing Opportunity

Follow up on participation: There was only one school that seemed to have discussed this with their staff, though some committee members said they may have not attended a staff meeting when it was discussed. Joe had sent an e-mail requesting for participation numbers from each school previously in November and a follow up just prior to the Numeracy Committee meeting. Granted, due to the insanity that ensues before Christmas, it was expected that schools would look at this in the new year.

The Numeracy committee unanimously supports this opportunity. The testing would contribute to ALL four focus areas of the District Numeracy Plan, at zero cost to the District. It would result in the gathering of student data that could be used to help plan and develop programs to enhance student success. Furthermore, we would be able to try another form of assessment, which was originally passed over due to exorbitant costs, free of charge. The only possible drawback that the committee could foresee was the feeling of overdoing the testing of our students, and the extra work load that would be put upon the teachers in the short term.

Math contest (Caribou)

Upcoming dates/Classes involved: The Brock University Caribou Math Contest continues in 2010. See dates at www.brocku.ca/caribou. It was reported that one of the grade 3 students in our district participated in the grade 3/4 test and performed quite well. The positive and enthusiastic reaction from the students involved has been a great sign and nice progress towards an item from Focus Area 4 in the District Numeracy plan regarding celebrating student success in Numeracy.

More participation in future tests is encouraged. Judy McNaughton’s class has already registered for the January test. She hopes that a computer lab is in place at OMSK before that date. The other grade 5/6 students that tried the test before will hopefully enter again. Joe and Mike Hickey will be assisting teachers on January 20th with logging on and navigating the contest.

Individual teachers need to register in advance and have their passwords ready for the day of the test. Registration is available at the address above.

Math Survey on Curriculum Reform/Review

Please encourage others on staff to complete the survey. It takes about 2 minutes (one open ended question). Some teachers at OMSK had already done the survey.

ILT Literacy/Math Night on November 26th

Report on how it went: No Numeracy Committee rep from ILT was present to report. Joe was at the event and said it was fun and a good time for teachers, parents and students. He said that Kathy Hill seemed quite happy with the turnout.

ECG Math Night

No news to share on this upcoming event.

Explore Learning Teacher Passwords

All grade 7 and 8 teachers have accounts and passwords set up with the Explore Learning website. The committee viewed some of the website’s resources. Teachers are able to use this license until August 2010, as part of our agreement with OSAPAC. There are plenty of amazing resources and visual demonstrations and interactive components to enhance student learning and understanding.

Joe to follow up with the Explore Learning people (Stephen Lippa) to get some PD for teachers on how to best utilize this resource.

Mathville 1 Teacher and Student Login and Access

The district also has a license to use the Mathville website resource. This is best suited for primary classrooms. The username and password was shared with Numeracy reps to share with their school staff.

Report Card Inserts

The Numeracy committee shared some parent comments regarding the report card inserts that were sent home on December 4th. Some parents from Jamieson school expressed interest in a math night based on the pamphlets that they were given.

Review 3 Year Plan in Final Draft Form

The committee was asked for any comments from their respective staff concerning the Final Draft of the Three Year Numeracy Plan. Principals were given copies at the November PAC meeting to share with their staff for input. Some schools had yet to see the latest draft. Joe sent out electronic copies to all Numeracy committee members, though the appendix still needs to be formatted electronically.

We still welcome staff input but will operate as though the draft is indeed final and being put into action. We are pleased with how initiatives in the schools are progressing towards achieving the focus areas of the plan.

Numeracy Committee Goals for 2009-2010

The committee laid out some goals and ideas in addition/conjunction to implementation of the District Numeracy plan.

One goal is to survey Six Nations staff for their Numeracy needs, as well as skills they can offer to share with others. This is already being talked about through the PD committee.

Another idea is to ask staff to compile a “wish list” of items in advance of a possible year end budget call for purchasing.

Thirdly, the committee recognizes a need for PD and development for Six Nations staff on Rich Tasks/Problem Solving as well as Math lesson planning (long term/short term). We talked about how although Math Makes Sense is somewhat close to the ideal of providing some lessons with rich tasks and problem solving opportunities, the text does tend to invert the process of learning, teaching explicit skills in advance of an eventual culminating rich task. Students would benefit from developing those skills in problem solving situations from the start of a unit.

The committee then discussed how best to provide this PD. Some suggestions were the current avenues already in place; through PD Days, divisional meetings, and similar activities. The effectiveness and appropriateness of after school PD sessions were questioned. We spoke about how the ideal PD would occur in PLC sessions during the aforementioned times, as that environment provides for deeper learning through a teacher guided/focused approach.

Concerns about meeting times and scheduling

There is an ongoing concern about attendance and teacher coverage for Numeracy Committee meetings. The committee requested that Joe ask to put this on the PAC meeting agenda.

Future Meetings with Guest presenters and PD possibilities

The next meeting will take place in Ms. Ireland’s classroom at JC Hill school on Thursday, January 21st. Guest presenter Rudy Neufeld will present on his software resource entitled Understanding Math. Joe installed the preview version of this software on every computer at ECG, and most junior/intermediate classrooms in all the schools.

Though the meeting starts at 2:30, teachers interested in seeing Rudy Neufeld’s presentation are invited to attend. An invitation and info notice will be sent out in the new year.

Pearson PD will occur at the February 25th meeting. Joe is to finalize and confirm this.